Drives: 2015 BMW i8, E63 M6, 328d

Garage List
2016 M4 GTS (Allotted)  [0.00]
2013 BMW 328d  [0.00]
2007 BMW M6  [10.00]
2015 BMW i8  [10.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tommysalami View Post
You have the right equation, but keep in mind that the mass used in the calc is the mass of fuel vapor. So while there may have been 2kg worth of fuel vapor for combustion in the fireball, the rest of the fuel would still be liquid at the moment of impact. So there very well may have been a rupture of the fuel cell. But this is all just back of the napkin stuff and as you say, we'll know when the investigation is done.

I doubt it. The spray from a handheld extinguisher is fairly puny. The fire will entrain much more air on its own. They were definitely too far away at first, but those guys with the extinguishers didn't appear to be wearing proper face masks/SCBA, and it must have been crazy hot getting towards that fire. So I can't blame them for starting further back and working their way closer. Major props to the medical car guys for getting right in there and helping Grosjean over the fence.
Yes and Thanks!!

We are all worse than Armchair Quarterbacks. We're Armchair Accident Investigators. Has there ever been a more ridiculous thing to be?

Let's wait for the investigation before announcing a conclusion.
Sir 7ewis, 7X FIA Formula One World Championship, World Driving Champion. 100 Wins. 101 Pole Positions. 54 Fastest Laps. Actual Rain Master. Leave me to it, Bono. One Race Win in each of his 15 years in F1. Most Laps Led in Formula One. The Centurion.
Appreciate 0