06-22-2016, 10:11 AM   #35
quikM2
Captain
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2017 Jahre M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Viffermike View Post
The HU is separate from the amp (it's technically part of the iDrive system), so all functions should work.

That said, both the DSP and the ASD are in the amp module/assembly. By swapping out the amp, you lose the DSP but don't gain any additional tone or output controls beyond what the HU (Bass/Treble/Balance/Fader) or your replacement amp provide. The tradeoff, however, is worth it since the sound is much more even across the audible spectrum.

It's important to note that BMWs require amps with differential balanced speaker inputs, which narrows your available aftermarket choices considerably. Also, an aftermarket amp will increase the static volume of the ASD; choosing a model with gain adjustment for each channel (specifically, the rears) is important to keep it under control if you want to retain ASD.

What many 2Addicts have done is use TechnicPnP's plug-and-play harness to make installation -- and returning to OEM -- much easier. It's not required, but it keeps you from having to splice at least a dozen wires from the OEM harness.
Thanks for the explanation - that makes sense. Its really annoying they don't offer a better option for audio. I'm coming from the bang & olufsen system in my audi and its awesome. I listened to the H&K in a m235 which is the same system the M2 will come with and the difference is night and day. I really enjoy music while driving and I know hearing the difference is going to drive me nuts. I am not really a DIY kind of guy when it comes to audio so I'm trying to figure out an optimal upgrade that won't cost a fortune with labour.
Appreciate 0