Major General
Egypt
Rep
Drives: 2018 Audi RS5 coupe

Garage List
2018 Audi RS5  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by nachob View Post
Listen the 1M was an attempt by Dr. Z to fix what had become an mess with the M3 hitting close to 3800 lbs with folding mirrors, extended leather everything, power seats, iDrive, NAV screens, bluetooth and all that less-than-manly stuff that embarrased real car guys. While the motor in the M3 is a work of art, the car had become a deluxe grand tourer.
thats funny
those very same options are available on the 1m last i checked
and they are options on both the M3 and the 1m
so if you want the light version
you can order both cars without them

Quote:
Despite all this, I still like many aspects of the M3 and if I couldn't get a 1M I was going to buy a base e90 M3 without all the crap BUT I don't need a snob telling us how the 1M is not a real M car.
all i said was that even the head of M doesn't have the gutts to call it a 1m
he calls it the 1 series M coupe
never heard him say the 3 series M coupe or the 5 series M sedan
read into that what you want

Quote:
Take a close look at what you drive before putting down other rides. for your info, the gearbox is a new version of the 135i developed for the 1M with special coatings that makes it shift 4 times more crisply than the M3... I have driven the M3 and this 1M only gearbox with short shifter is awesome and any M3 owner would wish theirs shifted like it.
if it were the world's greatest gearknob/transmission
it is not worth giving up the S65 engine in exchange for a N54 or whatever they decided to call the engine in the 1m
besides all i need to fix that is a short shift kit
but there is no fix for the fact that it's turbocharged and not NA

Quote:
You want to talk real M cars...... 1M no sunroof option.....1M manual only....1M 300-400 lbs lighter than M3 with the same brakes, tires, wheels, rear diff.

One setting on the suspension...STIFF with no electronic softening for soft butts.

So which car is closer to the original M3 the E90/92/93 or the 1M?

Dr Z felt it was the 1M as did the people I met at ///M Design Center in Garching.
neither one is in any way related to the original M3
i've owned one
they are both fat and overweight
the fact that the 1m is 342 pounds lighter doesn't make much difference
when the original M3 weighed 2700lb