View Single Post
      01-13-2012, 10:06 AM   #183
auggiem3
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: F87 M2C & E92 M3

I notice a consistent bifurcation of comments on this thread - those who have invested in an M car are disappointed with brand dilution. Those who want more performance minded cars with enhanced usability or a lower price point appear to be enthralled by the potential of an M-line of vehicles.

I read an interesting article related to this phenomenon – Harvard University created a School for Continuing Education which required far less stringent admission criteria, primarily for part time students. Although the new school was a separate entity with limited faculty, student, or curriculum overlap, there was pushback from the alumni community. After spending serious dollars for a top notch education, alums consistently argued that a lower cost/lower performance variant diluted the brand.

Personally, I believe the Harvard alums maintain a valid argument applicable to this tread – albeit clearly a Harvard Education maintains a more crucial brand value to a person than the moniker on their vehicle. My initial take, as an owner of a few M cars, fell on the side of reasonable – who cares if an M135 is badged as such when you know the power and performance enhancements the true 1er M coupe offers over its peer? Then, I considered it from the alternative view point – why should a potential M135 buyer care if the same car is branded as an M135 or a 135is?

Given the later question, it seems to me that those adamant for the M badge are looking for a status symbol held by those who invested in the performance of a full fledged M product. To integrate the Harvard example, those pursuing the School of Continuing Studies were doing so not because of the quality of the education (where they could have arguably gotten a better schooling experience at BC or BU or Tufts, etc.) but because they wanted to portray themselves as Harvard educated folks when in most circumstances, the group fell short of normal admission criteria….so I say badge it as an IS and those who want it for the right reason will still buy it.
Appreciate 0