United_States
Rep
Drives: 2004 330i ZHP, 2022 Cayman T

Quote:
Originally Posted by kmarei View Post
"tuned by the M division"
equals they ripped off parts from the M3/335is
And rushed it to the market in like 6 months
That's according to the M engineers, by the way.
They only reason they did the 1m , and made it in small numbers
Is to hype up demand for the next 1m which will be based on the new 1 series
To establish the name basically
Hence why they had to raid the parts bin to keep costs low
Actually as far as I know, the only part I can think of that was made exclusively for the 1m is the "powered by BMW M" sticker on the engine

Notice how even in the interview added on the front page, he doesn't refer to it as the 1m
But the 1 series M coupe
That must mean something...
Listen the 1M was an attempt by Dr. Z to fix what had become an mess with the M3 hitting close to 3800 lbs with folding mirrors, extended leather everything, power seats, iDrive, NAV screens, bluetooth and all that less-than-manly stuff that embarrased real car guys. While the motor in the M3 is a work of art, the car had become a deluxe grand tourer.

Despite all this, I still like many aspects of the M3 and if I couldn't get a 1M I was going to buy a base e90 M3 without all the crap BUT I don't need a snob telling us how the 1M is not a real M car.

Take a close look at what you drive before putting down other rides. for your info, the gearbox is a new version of the 135i developed for the 1M with special coatings that makes it shift 4 times more crisply than the M3... I have driven the M3 and this 1M only gearbox with short shifter is awesome and any M3 owner would wish theirs shifted like it.

You want to talk real M cars...... 1M no sunroof option.....1M manual only....1M 300-400 lbs lighter than M3 with the same brakes, tires, wheels, rear diff.

One setting on the suspension...STIFF with no electronic softening for soft butts.

So which car is closer to the original M3 the E90/92/93 or the 1M?

Dr Z felt it was the 1M as did the people I met at ///M Design Center in Garching.

Last edited by nachob; 01-13-2012 at 12:00 AM.. Reason: I got mad at first by the snobby put-down so I cleaned it up.
Appreciate 0