View Single Post
      04-02-2023, 12:46 AM   #20
David.m
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: M2 LCI 6MT BSM

I recently installed the Turner rear bushing, posted re a specific issue in CS subforum but as it applies to all F87 thought it worth sharing here. I have had the Auto Solutions SSK (+ blue poly bushings) for 3.5yrs, BMS clutch stop (2 shims) since new, Raceseng Circuit Sphere knob (did have intermittent buzzing with oem knob after SSK), CDV delete 1yr ago then Rogue trans mounts 6mths ago.
imo the Turner bushing gave an improvement about the same as the Rogue mounts did, a little more feel/precision/tightness but no additional effort to engage gear. What did come with the Turner bushing (I'm sure because I already had the AS SSK polyurethane shift arm to transmission mounts) was a significant increase in NVH. At idle you can hear whine/chatter but with hard acceleration/deceleration there is loud gear whine. My car isn't a daily commuter and I now actually like the extra excitement it gives in mountain twisties, wouldn't recommend it if you daily commute and listen to radio/music. Before installing the Turner I would say NVH was virtually at oem level (except for the buzz I had with oem shift knob, eliminated with Raceseng knob).

For anyone who already has the AS SSK and read/heard that Ron recommends against the Turner bushing, here is a reply from Ron clarifying:
"I cannot comment on the current Turner poly bushing. the one that was given to me was a couple years old and I felt it held the back of the shifter arm too tightly therefore robbing control from the front setup. I recommended then to slightly enlarge the hole so that the bushing would act as a limiter rather than a controller. And theorized that it would work very well in that case except for the noise.

I drove such a bushing on an e46M3 in its tight form ( it was a generic blue poly bushing) and I felt it hurt the pattern rather than help it. it felt firmer but not as precise especially when pushed hard. So it sort of validated my theory. So for both noise and control reasons I felt it was not a positive .

However a tight rear bushing would likely work well if the rest of the mounts (motor mounts and gearbox mounts) were solid or close to solid. In such a case the whole drivetrain moves as one with the body and the rear bushing no longer controls the rear of the shift arm independently from its front

I hope this clarifies my position"
Appreciate 2
(K)1278.00
chris7197334.00