Rep
Drives: '21 A90 Supra 3.0, '11 E92 M3C

Garage List
2017 BMW M2  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hoverdog View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by hson10 View Post
Thanks for linking me on this! I took a look at the link and it looks like it's just an 8mm and removing the heat shield? Did you have to use a ratchet with a flexible head for this?

Also what is this "large panel under the gearbox" you speak of?
The large panel is just a plastic undercarriage cover. It's easy to remove but you'll need to keep track of all the different bolt sizes and their corresponding holes. The bolts for the bushing are the standard BMW torx head bolts, so it's best to use a torx star socket but I was able to use a standard 8mm socket because they gripped well enough and the bolts were not very tight (I now own proper torx sockets).

I used a 1/4" drive ratchet and was able to reach the bolts with an extension and a universal joint attachment. No need to remove the drive shaft (heavens forbid). The tricky part is probably getting your hands in there to start the bolts during reassembly. A nice headlamp helps you see everything.

I did this on my driveway with the front wheels on ramps. As long as you're not built like Santa, you probably have enough room.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hoverdog View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by hson10 View Post
Thanks for linking me on this! I took a look at the link and it looks like it's just an 8mm and removing the heat shield? Did you have to use a ratchet with a flexible head for this?

Also what is this "large panel under the gearbox" you speak of?
The large panel is just a plastic undercarriage cover. It's easy to remove but you'll need to keep track of all the different bolt sizes and their corresponding holes. The bolts for the bushing are the standard BMW torx head bolts, so it's best to use a torx star socket but I was able to use a standard 8mm socket because they gripped well enough and the bolts were not very tight (I now own proper torx sockets).

I used a 1/4" drive ratchet and was able to reach the bolts with an extension and a universal joint attachment. No need to remove the drive shaft (heavens forbid). The tricky part is probably getting your hands in there to start the bolts during reassembly. A nice headlamp helps you see everything.

I did this on my driveway with the front wheels on ramps. As long as you're not built like Santa, you probably have enough room.
Thanks so much! This is definitely reassuring. I have a ton of tools from years and years of accumulated use and working on different cars, but I'll definitely be sure to grab some extra torx sockets before installation. This is extremely helpful! I'm gonna attempt it myself on jack stands