03-26-2019, 08:52 PM   #87
Karmic Man
Lieutenant Colonel
Australia
Rep
Drives: M2C

Quote:
Originally Posted by XRAVE View Post
Didn't they switch to the S55 purely because the N55 no longer met European standards for emission and it was easier to detune that engine than rework the N55 for a third time? I'm sure emission standards are released years in advance so they tested the S55 early knowing it would eventually replace the N55. The S55 started out as the amazing N55 engine and while it was great on paper they realized it wasn't what people wanted for the M2. They took what worked on the S55, forged crank and rods, new piston rings, etc, and brought it back the N55 and left the rest out.

I think BMW was forced to make the change and everyone would have preferred an M2C that had maybe 10-15 more HP on the N55, new wheels, adaptive suspension, better cooling and a new styling. The S55 is a great engine but sound and power delivery is a huge part of the experience. Look at the current used market for the M4, you can find some cheaper than you can get an E92 with similar miles. I believe mostly impart to the weight, engine and lack of soul.

I bought the M2 because I wanted a small car with great handling that sounded amazing. At no time did I think, "I wish they would put a heavier, terrible sounding engine in here with more power". For those that did want more 40-50 more HP, a weight free tune could have accomplished that without changing the sound the car produces.

I'm sorry but BMW had their hands tied behind their back on this one.
The N55 is not for me.

I have always wanted the S55 in the M2 and that's why now I have the M2C. The N55 sound better? To me it sounds more refined but lacks aggression where as the S55 is all angry and taut.

You can't tune the N55 with 40-50 more hp because of the smallish turbo and lesser cooling capacity. May be you can get one or two runs with 20 more hp after tuning but from the third run onwards the turbo will heat soak and power drops drastically. Where as the S55 delivers at least 410ps run after run.

I would definitely like to see the S58 in the next M2 from the start.

Last edited by Karmic Man; 03-26-2019 at 08:58 PM..
Appreciate 1
Poochie9104.50