View Single Post
      03-22-2019, 08:35 PM   #82
Artemis
Rep
Drives: BMW M2 Competition

Quote:
Originally Posted by PackPride85 View Post
It was no fluke. There were s55 test cars rolling around before the n55 m2 came out. It was planned since the beginning but probably pending on n55 m2 popularity, and intro of m3/m4 comp packs.
Quote:
Originally Posted by AlpsRider View Post
I think the M2 sporting the S55 may have been meant for the CS but they dropped it into the M2C early in order to pass the strict emission laws. It is all water under the bridge at this point. I can't wait to see the CS with the Carbon Fiber roof etc. I think it will cut into the M4 sales but I doubt that BMW really cares as long as they sell cars.
The rumor that the N55 M2 and S55 M2 have been developed together, was reported in January 2016 by a German source. The Nürburgring Nordschleife laptime clocked in 2015 test sessions of that S55 M2 test mule version, was claimed to be "over 8 seconds faster than an M4". Must have been the unrestricted S55 engine (unlike the M2 Competition, that got an S55 detuned to 410hp).

Though it could be just another urban legend (I have not seen videos surfacing of an M2 test mule with discernible S55 sound back in 2015), it makes sense to me: BMW M managed to rather quickly perform an engine overhaul from N55 (original M2) to detuned S55 (M2 Competition) because of tightened EU emissions legislation. Instead of offering the S55 as expensive 'angry sibling', the N55 was taken off the menu and M2 fans were generously served an S55 M2 for a competitive price: the M2 Competition as entry-level BMW M model.

Original M2 hp (370) + 40 hp = M2 Competition hp (410).
M2 Competition hp (410) + 40 hp = M2 CS hp (450).

And yes, alike you I'm curious to know the M2 CS laptime at "The Ring". With lighter weight and shorter wheel base to start with + more CF bits, it should be faster than an M4, no ?

February 2016:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Artemis View Post
As indicated in a previous comment (and see also here and here), some at 2erTalk claim that BMW has been testing an M2 featuring an S55 engine that turned out to be "over 8 seconds faster than an M4" on the Nürburgring Nordschleife (which should give an impressive 07:43 or 07:44 lap time | M4 GTS = 07:28 | Porsche Cayman GT4 = 07:40 (claimed without video) | M4 = 07:52 | base M2 = 07:58 | 1M = 08:15).
A BMW 6-cyl, compact sized Porsche Cayman GT4 fighter (price-tag may be accordingly) ? Now that's the kind of pocket rocket speak that sounds like cool music to many ears (except for those of the competition). If that interesting S55 rumor would be accurate (let's not take it for granted yet), then I doubt that BMW is testing this test mule without a bigger plan in mind. Maybe not for now or the near future, but for a more distant future. Especially when considering that the M2 base version is out on the streets from April 16 onwards and an M2 lifecycle impulse (LCI) is rumored for no earlier than MY 2018.
Picture of some M2 testmule at the Wehrseifen section of the Nürburgring Nordschleife - late March 2015 test sessions: