Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: '09 Cpe Silverstone FR 6MT

Garage List
2009 M3  [8.40]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zing View Post
Question: do trees, mountains, sky, grass and asphalt count as negative space?
Zing, the asphalt does. In your example, the trees and sky are not particularly interesting, but they're not "negative space" in the classic composition sense. They compete with your main subject.

You've put a relatively large subject in a very large space. Since there's no action from the subject or the space around it, it's conflicting. This composition says to me, "Here's a beautiful scene and my car is in it." Unfortunately, the scene is nothing special, so we're wondering, is this a car picture or a landscape picture.

If I wanted to use negative space in this nice light, I'd either use or longer focal length or get nearer to the car, have the car fill half the frame and the asphalt the rest (to the side and/or in front) and deemphasize the BG.

I looks like you shot this standing up. I think it'd be more effective if you were down on a knee. The shadows lack detail and I'd raise them a bit, if I were going to try to salvage this.

Great looking car. Do they still call that color Silverstone II? I've got a 2009 E92 in S-II. Love that color.