06-12-2019, 04:44 PM   #487
Poochie
Luxury at the redline :)
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2016 M2

Quote:
Originally Posted by MR. View Post
Interesting experience at my end since the BBS FI-R rims have gone on the car. The weight difference is noticeable and I never thought it would be. I had a talk with an engineer from BBS and we dived into the specifics.

The 5kg I saved off per wheel by fitting the FI-R's really has made a difference at high speeds. I drove the autobahn yesterday and on the first few pulls I was amazed about the more ease of putting down the power and easy way in which I could reach Vmax, as if there was less mass to carry around.

The different is tiny, not major, but especially at speeds over 210 km/h you feel a difference which I haven't felt before with a car. I have never shaved off 5 kgs from a wheel which is about 33% or so, and since it is unsprung mass the impact is bigger, according to BBS's calculations.

Interesting experience. It is not as if you have more power, it is just the same but more fluid, less effort and easier acceleration through corners on the autobahn. It is like running at the same momentum, but it requires less force to do it. (I hope you understand what I mean)

MR
I totally get it; I had a similar experience when I switch to lighter wheels, it was totally unexpected but the vehicle felt lighter on its feet.

Love the FI-R wheels but at $8,000 USD, I'll pass for now..
Appreciate 0