View Single Post
      12-03-2018, 06:38 AM   #675
chris719
Major General
Rep
Drives: '08 M Roadster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Davil View Post
Any touch screen where you have to extend your arm to use it is a bad design. 100x moreso in a car, where it becomes dangerous. The iDrive wheel is pretty smart stuff.

You should try the current iDrive they’ve done a good job. Far better than earlier iterations. I didn’t bother with CarPlay. I just tell my Watch to play a song, playlist or artist, even streaming via Apple Music and it plays just fine on iDrive. The playlist shows and you can even flick though in the in dash control off the wheel.

As for Android. They have two types of customers. Poor people and anoraks. Professionals that can buy an M2C with a couple of week’s income find it a bit of a joke.
I don’t love touchscreens in cars but I think knobs are all going away. We agree on CarPlay. BMW will eventually give in and join everyone else with giant touchscreens plus voice gestures. Saves money. I’m not sure the issue with touchscreens is the arm; I think even iDrive requires you to divert your eyes and the eyes are the issue - you go where you look. I’ve used it a lot in an F10 and it’s okay.

Maybe you should try a real modern Android phone though (not Samsung garbage). I find iOS 12 to be decidedly inferior to Pie on Pixel 2 or 3 for actually getting things done.
Appreciate 0