General
Scotland
Rep
Drives: 911, Cayenne Turbo, Disco 4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul-Bracq-BMW View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tengocity View Post
Always easier on larger margin cars higher up the range. Funny that we are both happy to see him go, but for quite different reasons!

But what the hell do we know.... could just be any number of reasons why he left that are nothing to do with designing cars.

I know lots of people fired from jobs they were good at because of other reasons- fiddling expenses, lack of cultural fit, inappropriate relationships and behaviour, being a crap boss... the list is endless.
True. We don't know why he left. He could have been fired (MB performing better, his vision did not convince upper management etc.) or he could have left for personal reasons or taken a better job somewhere...

What I am missing at BMW are cars that capture the imagination. Some models are good looking and sometimes elegant, but I haven't seen a production car for a long time that can be referred as an instant classic. The M2 maybe, but not because of its look...
I agree. There's few, if any, recent BMWs that I want to buy just because they look fantastic. The i8 perhaps, but that was done before he got here.

Thankfully there are plenty that I'd buy because they're great in other respects that are more important.

Whereas the Mercedes-AMG GT is one car that I'd almost want to buy on looks alone.

Does any car really look like an instant classic? Z4M coupe perhaps.

Not sure I'd agree on E46... it took a facelift before it looked great, though it still does look great now.
Current: Porsche 911 991 C4S, Porsche Cayenne Turbo, Land Rover Discovery 4. Gone...G01 X3 M40i, Cayman S 987, F31 340i, Cayman GT4, F82 M4 CP, Lotus Exige V6, G20 330e, F30 330e, Boxster S 987, F31 335d, Mini Cooper SD, E89 Z4, E90 330d 320d, E60 520d, E46 330d 320d, MX5s, E30 325i
Appreciate 0