03-15-2021, 05:21 PM   #17
F87source
Major General
No_Country
Rep
Drives: Bmw M2

Quote:
Originally Posted by f87.lci View Post
Does it only happen at 1/4 or less tank of gas? I have noticed a similar sound but only when the gas is on the lower end. something to do with priming ? Took it to the dealer and was not able to replicate the sound. since then i have tried to keep my gas full and havent noticed the sound much.
I used to think it was priming as well but it doesn't make logical sense how it would do that without the engine being on because the hpfp is driven off of the vacuum pump which is driven off of the timing chain. (I used to mistake it with being cam driven but that's the b58 and spool performance was a bit misleading on how their calculations worked which led me to believe that it was cam driven). Anyways it's not likely hpfp priming causes that sound with the engine off because how can the pump even be actuated? The lpfp would make a wiring sound not a ticking sound.

The only thing that makes sense is the valvetronic motor which actuates itself in a sort of calibration sweep everytime you open the door or wake the car in a 30 second window.