08-29-2017, 01:26 AM   #603
Karmic Man
Lieutenant Colonel
Australia
Rep
Drives: M2C

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gatte View Post
If BMW is not putting a regular M3/M4 S55 engine or the other things that come standard on an M3/M4, there is no way that an MSRP over the base M3/M4 is justified. The more and more I read about the M2 CS, the more and more I think that this car should be priced close to the 60K mark or at least under the base M3/M4 price.

Porsche put a 911 engine in the GT4 along with the complete front suspension of the GT3 and a completely reworked rear suspension along with a plethora of changes and still charged 10K less than a base 911. This car was produced for just 1 year and was pretty limited as well.

And no, porsche was not testing the waters with that car and hence did not price it conservatively.

If the M2 CS cannot beat the current cayman S or the GT4 around a trarck, it would be a hard sell at above M3/M4 MSRP. Just my opinion.
I agree.

They should not have detuned the S55 and just leave it at standard M3/M4 power level and then charge M3/M4 price.

With the M2 CS being faster than the standard M3/M4 they could easily reach sales target even with an M3/M4 price tag.

Those that want 4 door practicality will still buy the M3.

Those that want a bigger and a more luxury sports coupe will still buy the M4.
Appreciate 0