View Single Post
      08-27-2014, 12:12 AM   #83
w3rkn
Banned
Rep
Drives: BMW 135is

Quote:
Originally Posted by dmboone25 View Post
Honestly...I have to agree. It makes me sad to say that - perhaps I have too much of a tolerance for this relative range of nicely performing BMWs.

My M235 is not a great car - but it is a very good car. It is plenty quick in straight lines, but even in the context of a spirited drive, you can feel the weight and body roll around you. Will better suspension and underpinnings change that? Of course - but without some Slim Fast, the improvement might be neglible.

In order for me to justify the 10K increase in price that I am anticipating, the M2 is going to have to be one special mofo. So far, the info we know about it suggests that it will be very very good - but perhaps not special. I, for one, don't care for the N55. I have had two of them now, and they have left me underwhelmed. The N54 was awesome. If they told me the M2 was coming with a tricked up even more version of that - my attitude would change.

But that's not going to be the case. Most likely, we are going to get the N55, not the S55, with a couple of different ///M badges on it (yes, I am being facetious, but it won't be the total treatment, which is what we want)...to me, this car is becoming harder to shoehorn into the spot that's been set aside for it UNLESS it's significantly better handling than the M235 OR significantly faster. My guess is that the final product will be a little bit of both - which means you pick this car over the M3/4 for looks, size, or economy. Not because it's the best driver's car BMW makes - which is what it should be.

Hoping I am wrong.
I agree^..
We don't even know what M-Division is going to do with the N55, perhaps two twin-scrolls..? Better cooling..? Different intake..?

But, if the M2's n55 is just more of 135is/235is tuning, then I am out. I already own a 3,400lbs, 369ft-lbs n55..

I've been waiting since the e46 M3, for the M2 (not lucky enough on the 1M), if it doesn't impress I am done with BMWs, as nothing else coming down the pipeline excites, or perks my interest.

BMW are too sterile and nearly everything in BMW's portfolio is soulless.. and meant for commoners! (LCD). They have seem to lost their dna, or heritage of driver's car.. too many nannies, etc.

Does it bother anyone, that BMW is not racing any new cars..? Why no 2-series in any events? Just drift videos..?
Appreciate 0