DVC
Diligentia Vis Celeritas
United_States
Rep
Drives: 335i

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by w3rkn View Post
The M2 isn't competing with the 235.. it is competing against the Vette, Audi, Porsche, Mustang, etc..

Carbon Fiber roof is not expensive.. it is just exotic. Don't confuse the two. The BMW M2 will be about weight... there is no better place to save weight, than at the highest point in the car... why would BMW pass this opportunity up, just because YOU feel it aint worth it..?

The M2 must come with CF roof (& panels), just so it looses enough weight to be drop back down to 1-series weights.... as the 2-series gained 180lbs. But understand, it isn't necessarily how much weight, but WHERE that weight is... weight on the roof is a big No No..

No CF roof, no consideration.. that's why we buy BMW M's.. for the tech & engineering.
I agree. The decision to use the N55 in the M2 has signaled BMW's intentions to go conservative on power. That being the case, in order for the car to be competitive in its market segment, it will need to shed weight, and be extremely nimble. (By the way, I find this to be a very encouraging approach.)
In order to do this, the logical path is to leverage CFRP (which should be readily available thanks to the new plant)... we know they're not going to sacrifice tech and creature comforts, as they're a must to sell cars to most buyers (and even to many enthusiasts), so lightweight parts are the answer.