View Single Post
      10-07-2023, 10:51 PM   #84
ndyvidual
This hobby is expensive!
United_States
Rep
Drives: Porsche 981 S, BMW F87 M2C

Caliper Removal Improvements

If you're like me and use the large T-45 bolts to remove your calipers from the caliper bracket and not the correct bolts which attach the caliper bracket to the hub assembly, you're in luck to right your wrongs

The bolts are readily available from your favorite Porsche supplier. See my sketch for the part numbers you'll need. Porsche recommends 85N-m (65ft-lb).

But for me, I take my calipers off often as I run through a set of rotors bi-annually at a minimum. I don't want to keep stretching bolts within the soft aluminum assembly. Nor did I want to keep having to place frequent orders to FCP for replacement bolts. To avoid this, I carried over an upgrade that I had already done on my Porsche and I've been very happy with: adding caliper studs.

Since the 981 and the M2C use the same bolts (despite different sized calipers), I ordered the same studs for this project: BCSK-72 (rear) and BCSK-85 (front) from Tarett Engineering.

I used a high quality M12 1.5 chip-clearing-for-through-hole tap and compressed air, Loctite 243 thread lock, the supplied double-nuts and a torque wrench. I've included some pics throughout the install for reference: I started with the rear.

Now I remove the calipers from the studs only with a known torque value and no worry about weakened threads in the future. Not a glamorous upgrade, but it adds safety and efficiency, so it's worthwhile for me.
Attached Images

Appreciate 0