United_States
Rep
Drives: '19 M2C

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Megator View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by F87source View Post
I think they only showed a couple of broken cranks.

No I don't trust VTT either but I wanted to point out there that a new vendor who wants to market their product by bashig someone else's work while copying VTT's crank bolt capture probably is fishy.

Honestly imo it's hard to trust any vendor on this issue especially after tpg screwed everyone over with their sub par product as documented in the thread I linked earlier.
Not sure who came up with the crank bolt capture but there are 10s of retailers that sell it now.

BTW you would think that if this solution works (or any of them really) BMW would have implemented it, its 5-10E tops worth of materials and labour in an OEM setting.

Also cracking a crank is "easy" if you wedge something big enough in there. Kinda like splitting a log with wedge. This does not prove that the splines "lock". Which brings another issue, the splines could cause the hub to bottom out before it is supposed to therefore not sandwiching the remaining gear (the timing one I think) tightly enough...

It would be simple enough to make a rig that lets you measure relative slip torques, yet I have not seen a single pic from any aftermarket vendor with such a rig.

Hell give me a crank + crankhub + gears etc and ill make one.

Totally agree with the vendor aspect, its seems some guys are sales people 1st and mechanics/engineers second.

Quote:
Originally Posted by F87source View Post
The crazy part is the ///M curse continues. E46 M3 subframe issues and rod bearings, E9X M3 rod bearing issues, F8X S55 crank hub issues. 3 generations of M3's now all with crazy flaws.
Every engineered product has "flaws" if you flog it hard enough for long enough.

The above video is user error, can't use a stick properly? get a DCT

The SCH is over exagerated IMHO, and not half as bad as the previous M weaknesses
Agreed, the S55 is bulitproof compared to the bearing BS of my s65 e92 M3.