Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: Dinan M235, Dinan Sport Wagon

Quote:
Originally Posted by ilovewagons
Quote:
Originally Posted by Karmic Man View Post
I have driven the M3 but not on a track...the 1M feels much more nimble and doesn't really have much understeer unless between corners and even then it is slight understeer and if I dig into the throttle harder it balances out.

With the short wheelbase the 1M rotates rapidly so I don't mind the so called understeer as it provides a point of reference for me during throttle input.

I found the 1M to be very sensitive to tyres conditions as well. With new tyres there is less oversteer and as tyres start wearing out handling go towards predominantly oversteer.
Let me be the first to say that I am a very average driver. I'm always trying to learn and improve, which is why despite working 6 days a week, I do 4-6 track days a year, not counting this year's BMW M drive day, which is where I decided to buy an M2. Before I humbled myself, accepted my limitations and started listening and learning how to drive my car, I sounded a lot like you. I'd just like to suggest that you join your state BMW club, like I did, and go along to some of the track days with your car and learn about it and how it handles. Best of luck to you and I hope you enjoy your 1M as much as I'm going to enjoy my M2.
I'm a big believer in advanced driver courses. Any of the cars we are likely to consider, you can get yourself in trouble quickly if you don't know what you're doing. Beyond that, once you do know what you're doing you can get a lot more out of the car and do it more safely. No downside as far as I am concerned, and it's a lot of fun.
Appreciate 4