04-28-2019, 03:37 PM   #44
sevenmarc
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2017 LBB f87 M2

Quote:
Originally Posted by wassy4 View Post
Compared to an M235i, the M2 is a level or two higher in all aspects.

However, have you considered getting an M240i instead of an M2 and modding that? I had a 340i (tune, downpipe, intake) prior to my M2 and miss the B58 a ton! I loved how simple it was to make good power, I gained almost 80whp with a $500 tune. No need for an intercooler or seven different replacement pipes.

The M2 offers a more visceral experience than the M235i/M240i and I would say is a big step up over the M235i but the M240i closes the gap. I was actually primarily shopping for an M240i over the M2, but could not pass up on the deal I got. I'm glad I chose the M2 in the end as it's what I personally wanted in a car, but the M240i is 90% of the M2, more comfortable, better engine, more than enough handling capability unless you're a track junkie. Option it with an LSD and traction issues and unpredictability become a moot point. The only things the M2 has over the M240i is better looks, (barely) faster transmission, and better handling/steering. The B58 also performs better than the N55 and sounds much better than both the N55/S55, in my opinion.

I certainly wouldn't count out the M240i as an option, although it might be too similar to justify a new purchase over the M235i.
You make a strong point. I've never felt the need for more power in my car though (that's a first for me); I'm chasing that visceral feeling that you described having in your M2. I can definitely see how going to the N55 platform after having had a tuned B58 car would be tough though.

I've heard that the B58 sounds good; I didn't realize that it sounds even better than the N55 work M2 exhaust. Given the delta between a used M2 and a used 240 plus having to do all the same handling mods that I would need to do to my current car to get it where I want it to be, the M2 is feeling like the better choice for me.

Have you modded you M2?
Appreciate 0