View Single Post
      04-17-2020, 10:29 AM   #559
AmuroRay
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: M235i

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZM2 View Post
You just confirmed what I said, are still missing the point, and are just regurgitating what other people say without discussing the pros/cons for your particular setup and use.

The extra thermal mass and weight of bar and plate is a two-edged sword.

Good: If it is already cool, it takes longer to heat up than tube fin. That’s an advantage if you’re doing a few highway passes, drag race, etc.

Bad: Once it gets hot it takes longer to cool off than tube fin. That’s a disadvantage any time you’re in a constant on/off heat generation scenario such as circuit racing. And a bar plate def performs worse in the kind of stop go traffic we have around here where you can sit still for 10min. Any cooled thermal mass in a bar plate will be long gone and then will perform worse than tube fin which will cool off much quicker once the car moves and air starts to flow.

If the Evo3 is large enough to dissipate heat for someone’s particular use, it will be better for circuit racing than bar plate, as it will be lighter and cool off faster bn on/off WOT applications, albeit more expensive.
I’m sorry man, but that’s just hype and marketing speak. Bar and plate are heavier and can handle a higher thermal load, and thus have better ultimate cooling capability. Claiming that it will cool down before the next turn is also false too - the core that isn’t at its maximum capacity will still keep the intake temperatures cooler for longer.

Your own recent experience showed you this - your Intercooler WE2, reached it maximum thermal capacity and it’s effectiveness reduced. A better, larger IC may have not been limited in the same scenario.

Handwaving physics aside won’t change what’s fact. If you watch the video, you’ll also see why ER went with a taller vs wider design (and why it cools better than other brands) ER also states that they went with a Bar and Plate over a tube and fin because it performs better.

Here is a bar and plate vs tube and fin - lower Iats and just as quick recovery

https://f30.bimmerpost.com/forums/sh....php?t=1518971

RMP used a Mishimoto on their race car, stating that the spacing between the radiator and intercooler provided extra cooling head room. But they are using bar and plate.

https://m.facebook.com/pg/RMP-Motors...2263226/posts/

What I didn’t find, is an example of a Tube and fin being selected over bar and plate for competition use.

I’m not saying I’m definitively right, but I haven’t seen anything else that says otherwise
Appreciate 0