swifty
Colonel
Rep
Drives: F80, Levante & Tesla 100D

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobert View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by swifty View Post
I can see where you might be coming from but honestly imho the only reason to not drive an M2 or m3 in winter is simply if one lacks the skill to drive rwd in winter conditions.

Its not an exotic and not going to appreciate in value.
Does the 'h' in 'imho' still stand for 'humble'? 'Cause that's not exactly a humble opinion - more like inflammatory.

Like some others on here, I don't drive my M2 when the roads are snowy and/or salty - because I don't have to and choose not to. Heck, I don't even drive my beloved old '99 Miata in such conditions. I have my 2011 GTI for that. (The Miata is certainly no exotic either and it isn't even mint but it's rust-free & looks damn good for 19 years and 133k - I think avoiding road chemicals helped. )

I have two reasons for this, and neither has anything to do with value or depreciation, since I couldn't care less about such things:

First, I simply enjoy driving the M2 and plan to keep it a long time, like my Miata, provided it proves to be at least half as reliable as my bulletproof old roadster.

Second, I don't feel like dealing with the hassle of storing and swapping a second set of tires for winter.

That said, I've done it before, so it's not like I haven't tried it and I'm more than capable of driving a rwd car in the snow - I used to have a 2008 G35 sedan (rwd, 6MT) and it was an absolute beast in the snow with its winter tires and I actually enjoyed it in the snow. So I understand how great a rwd car can be in the snow, but you don't see me trolling those who choose to drive their M2's in winter conditions. In fact, I enjoy their winter pictures and reading about their winter exploits with their M2s.
Not sure how my opinion can be taken as inflammatory or constitute as trolling when I was responding to the posters assumption. According to your definition wouldn't anyone that says anything other than "Hey, great pic OP" be considered as trolling.

Just meant to say it's a an absolute joy driving these cars in winter being rwd and the person questioning if it's a lease is missing out on fun.

However I see your point as well if ones desire is to keep the car for very long time and worried about grime and salt affecting the vehicle. But if you plan on selling it what's the point of keeping it pretty for the next guy.
Past: Alpine white e46 323i, Jet Black e39 530, Saph Black e60 530, Space Grey N54 e92 335, Mineral White N55 e92 335
Appreciate 0