View Single Post
      10-20-2017, 09:56 PM   #1
johanva
Private
No_Country
Rep
Drives: BMW M2 MY2018

Is the garage joy riding my car?

TL;DR I can't prove it but I have a strong feeling they drive the car more than they should!

In July 2017 I took delivery of my pride and joy. Since then I had my car serviced three times. First time was after the break-in period, second time was because the LED of the remote control of the M Performance exhaust didn't work anymore and the last time was because the cruise control LED was not showing correctly in the speedometer (the green LED was on 50kmh when I was driving 120kmh on cruise control for example).

Being it my pride and joy I'm very cautious about who drives it and how they drive it. I always want to know how many kilometers the garage drives the car when I have to take it in so I keep an eye on the odometer when I drop her off (yes, it's a she but I haven't named her yet) and pick her up.

The first time after the break-in they drove around 10km, which is fine for me given the type of service they did (new motor oil, new diff oil, ...).

The second time when they had to re-pair the remote control of the exhaust and I was a bit surprised they drove 10km for this. When I checked the status of the car in the remote services app, I noticed there was 1 extra liter of fuel when I got her back (could of course be a glitch in the app).

In the meantime I had a dashcam installed. It's rather discrete and most people don't notice it so this could also give some insights into the test drives.

The last time (yesterday) was for swapping the instrument cluster because of the cruise control LED. When I got the car back, it had 33 kilometers (20 miles) extra on the clock. When I picked up the car they told me they test drove it for 10 minutes to test everything. When I came home, I checked the video of the dashcam and saw how I dropped off the car, how they drove it the next day into the garage, fixed the car, took it for a testdrive of literally 2 minutes (1.4km;0.86miles) and how I left with the car. So where are the other 32 kilometers? Did they shut off the camera before taking it out for another drive? The video did show the car always leaving the previous parking spot. Does anybody have another explanation for this? Is there another way I can check how and when the car was driven?

I know I'm very distrustful but my biggest fear is them flooring the car with a cold engine or mistreating it any another way for their enjoyment.
The things that triggered me the most for being distrustful are the reset of the trip computer every time (could of course also be because of a software update), the "extra" gas (could be a glitch of the remote services app) and the amount of kilometers they drove on their last test drive.

I know I have to let it go, but it can't get it out of my head. The 33 extra kilometers on the odometer versus the 1.4 kilometer test drive is what's bothering me the most. It's even 4:48 now when I'm typing this up in the hope I could get it out of my head and get some sleep.
Appreciate 1
rich8566608.50