08-15-2014, 11:25 AM   #90
nachob
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2004 330i ZHP, 2022 Cayman T

Quote:
Originally Posted by dwvcfii View Post
I don't understand this fetish with carbon fiber driveshafts. You guys do understand that regardless of the weight benefits they are absolutely ridiculously expensive to replace, right? If they are ever nicked during maintenance they will fracture at some point down the road. Good luck getting BMW or your indy shop to pay for that.

Just give me a standard steel or aluminum driveshaft and keep the exotic materials.
I also don't get the fetish either. People ask for super expensive exotic roof and shaft but then Bloat the cars with every lux option out there. What made the 1M a success was "keep it simple" Less is more. If you don't put all the fluff on it, you will save almost as much weight and have a more rare, focused and special car. The M2 needs to be accessible to the masses and cheaper to maintain down the road. It's really nuts to see people buy carbon bits then putting executive packages, power motorized mirrrors, seats, and all that stuff.

Keep it simple. If you really want lightweight and honestly care about performance, stop ordering BLoaded cars!

Now, some just like the look or cache that comes from CF. In that case, sorry. There are plenty of parts and wraps to get the look. BMW needs a club racer and this is the last hope!
Appreciate 0