Thread: M2 vs. M235i
View Single Post
      01-26-2020, 08:11 PM   #45
Moflow
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2020 M2C 6MT

Hey Hap, I have no experience with the M235i or the M240i, but I don't track my M2 Competition and I have no plans to ever do so. I don't think it's a waste of such a performance oriented car, but that said I do have my moments of driving aggressively on the street when nobody is around. I enjoy the occasional sideways moment before a quick rush to the redline.

I believe the M2/M2C are a pretty big step up in terms of being significantly more hard core than the M240i/M235i. Neither M2 has adjustable suspension and both are pretty stiff over bumps. They also have wider tires and a true limited slip differential. That's all stuff that will make a big difference if you are cornering close to the limit and almost no difference if you are only driving the car at say 70 percent of its capabilities.

The engines are kinda in a similar place. The M2 Competition makes more power, but isn't really THAT much faster in a straight line than the M240i. They're certainly in the same ballpark. However the M2 Competition has a higher redline and makes more power towards the top of the rev range. In my mind, that makes it feel racier and more exciting.

I would give the M2 Competition a test drive. You never know, you might decide it's too hard core for everyday driving. Or you might love it! But 40K is a HUGE amount of money, I don't want to tell you something would definitely be worth it or not worth it because this will absolutely vary person to person.
Appreciate 0