Thread: Brake Dust
View Single Post
      10-21-2019, 10:31 AM   #22
///AVM
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: G80 M3C

Short of, perhaps, ceramic brakes – which I have never owned and cannot attest – it seems nothing can prevent brake dust. Heck, as per my prior post, rust on the brake rotor starts to form before the car is even dried after washing. The second you apply the brakes after washing, there is layer of ‘rust dust.’

What I can share is just how easy it is to remove the pad/rotor dust IF you pre-treat the wheels. Some report ceramic coating, which I have not tried. I utilize Swissvax cleaner fluid to decontaminate the wheels, then applied Autobahn wheel wax with non-stick PTFE.

I wish I could say it works so well that all you need to do is rinse the wheels with hose to remove the dust . . . no such luck. I can attest that decontamination/Autobahn application makes cleaning VERY simple via wetting with hose  gentle wipe with microfiber cloth  rinse. Clean as new.

Quick tip: although the dust comes off very easily with above protocol, the microfiber cloth with be all but useless after wiping wheels. Do not use quality/microfiber cloths. You can purchase packages of 50-100 small microfiber cloths from most local auto stores (e.g., Autozone, O’Reilly, etc) and even Walmart for about $20. Not what I would use for paint detailing, but perfectly soft and applicable for wheels. Given the quantity you get for the price, very reasonable to use a single cloth per wheel, then toss.

///AVM
Appreciate 0