View Single Post
      10-29-2019, 10:11 AM   #9
chief1richard
Life is on the Track, the rest is just waiting.
United_States
Rep
Drives: At the point of 7,000 RPM's

Garage List
2018 M2  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by swootdaddy View Post
Hi all,

so I'm new to these forums but hopefully this is the most relevant place to ask for help for my situation.

I'm signed up for a trackday event next month at Willow Springs (Big Willow). It will be my first time on that track and my first time tracking my new M2C. I've done other track driving sessions before but they've always been in rentals.

For context, I know essentially nothing about setting up, upgrading, or maintaining vehicles. The most complex task I've ever performed is an oil change, never even changed a tire. Growing up my parents had no interest in cars at all and neither did my friends, thus I never learned anything about them. I've only had the chance to start "getting into" cars over the last year and a half after I discovered sim racing and actually started to make enough money to be able to even consider driving decent cars (I'm young compared to most car/track enthusiasts). However everything I've learned is on the performance driving side of things, like I said I still basically know nothing about the mechanical side.

Anyways like I said, I'm signed up for an open trackday event next month at Big Willow, and I intend to use my new M2C for the event. The event requires a tech inspection, I'll link the tech inspection list down below. Before I go out and buy tools and start tinkering away at an expensive piece of machinery that I know nothing about I'd like to ask some questions to you fine gentleman (and ladies?).

After doing a little reading here, it seems that upgrading the brake pads, fluids, and camber plates are essentially a necessity to be able to properly drive an M2C on track.

1. My first question is if this is true?

2. Which pads and brake fluid would you guys recommend I use?

3. Are changing out the brake pads and fluids something that a total novice can learn to do relatively easily and with only basic tools? (I currently don't own any tools).

4. Which camber plates should I get?

5. Can a total noob like me realistically learn to change out the camber plates relatively easily? (Again with only basic tools which I'd need to go out and buy)

5. Any other upgrades that you guys would deem mandatory before taking my M2C to the track?

Here's the tech inspection form: http://nebula.wsimg.com/2cb02e37d45f...&alloworigin=1

Ideally I'd like to learn to be able to perform a tech inspection like this by myself, I imagine it'd teach me a lot and save me some money in the long run. But again, I know nothing about setting up and maintaining cars....

6. Would it be feasible for me to learn to do all of these inspections properly and safely within the next month? (Again, only using the bare minimum in terms of tools) Or would I be better off just taking the car into a shop and having them perform this inspection for me considering the event is less than a month away?

Driving on track is some of the most fun I've ever had in my life and I am certain that I will be pursuing this hobby for as long as I'm physically able to, but coming from a background where I know nothing about cars it has been somewhat intimidating for me to get into the community. Thank you to anyone who is willing to take the time to answer these questions or provide me with any other advice you can think of!
I would recommend changing brake fluid with Motul 600, and get a set of Pagid Track Pads. You do not need them now, but sounds like you will be tracking more often, so why not do it now. You can swap out OEM to Track Pads easily with just a hammer and a punch. It takes about an hour, and there are good videos on how to do it. You don't need Camber Plates to enjoy a day at the track. The most important thing is knowing your car and how it handles, and being consistant on the track. Seat time rules.
Appreciate 0