View Single Post
      03-29-2020, 05:00 PM   #209
Nezil
Major
Rep
Drives: LCI '18 6MT M2

I considered taking some photos, but decided that there are so many tutorials out there for the more complex parts that it wasn't worth bothering.

Once you have the right parts... which includes all the fastenings in my table a few posts ago...

- Disconnect battery
- Remove the plastic trim either side of the bulkhead
- Remove the steel strut brace
- Replace the shock top hat by either removing the strut and using spring compressors (more complex), or by jacking the lower control arm with the car or jack stands (easier), removing the nut and slowly lowering the jack taking the slack off the spring. The top hat can then be simply un-bolted from the strut tower and the new one bolted in. Re-fitting is the reverse of removal
- Fit the riv-nuts using any approach that works; I recommend using a serrated washer, an oversized nut, a flat washer and a bolt
- Fit the new Aluminium brace, being careful as you slide in under the fenders and up to the mount point under the windshield
- Bolt everything up but do not torque yet, replacing bolts as required
- Lower the car back down to the ground
- Tighten all bolts to the correct torque, details in the table
- Reconnect battery

If you want to replace all the trim pieces, and you should, you'll need to remove the wiper arms to get the plastic under the windshield off. Everything else after that just clips into place.

If you were closer, I'd happily offer to do this for you because it's a quick job. Louisville is a little far for me.

Current Performance Mods:
CSF FMIC, ER CP, Fabspeed Cat, Aquamist WMI, GFB DV+, NGK 97506, BM3 (Stage 2 93 OTS), CDV delete, UCP, M2C/M3/M4 Strut Brace, M3/M4 Reinforcement Rings
Appreciate 2
dtmurf480.00