02-23-2024, 02:08 PM   #12
tn508s
Enlisted Member
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2015 BMW M235i

Quote:
Originally Posted by ggggbmw View Post
I recently moved from an M235 to an OG 2017 M2 manual.

The main reason I switched is that I track my car, and I was in morbid fear of oil starvation and spun bearings on the M235 N55 engine. The M2 has the S55 oil scavenging system, so that fear is gone. Also, the M2 suspension and brakes are more track focused. The suspension is beefier, with cast aluminum pieces where the M235 is stamped steel, and it has standard -1.5 degree camber where the M235 is 0 degrees. Same calipers and pads, but the M2 has much larger discs.

The massive (and very sexy) fender flares also mean way wider wheels and tires are possible. 10" wheels are easy in the M2, and nearly impossible in the M235. That directly translates to better cornering and braking on track.

So, if you are tracking, the choice is easy and clear.

For daily use, it's a way harder decision. The M235 is hands down the better daily driver. Better street suspension, quieter, and the ZF8 auto is peerlessly smooth and quick. Yes, the hooligan nature of the M2 can be fun, but it's a more tiring car to drive as a daily.

The interior is essentially identical between the two cars. My M2 is a bit newer and better equipped than my M235 was, so those tech features are nice. But otherwise it is oddly the same. Oh, and most M2's are slick top, and that is great for more helmet room, which I desperately need.

If I wasn't tracking my daily (and only) car, I would have stuck with the M235. And frankly, the M235 is no slouch on the track either. It's just not the track focused car the M2 is.
Great review!
Appreciate 0