07-28-2015, 04:45 PM   #75
stren
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 335i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bemo View Post
What kills me about this car....
Why not give us the option to spec an M3-like beast into the smaller M2 chassis and charge us M3 money for it??
If the performance, along with the cost of a lower model, overlap with that of a higher model, it gives both owners, along with the manufacturer, a "diplomatic" way out.
Everyone gets what they pay for and BMW instantly kills aftermarket tunes and makes more dough.
I realize it's a bold concept but it's just as silly to hold cars back from their full potential. There should also be room left for product versioning...win-win for all involved.

Attention BMW bean counters: off you go to the drawing board!!
Agreed - but reality is that the car has to be altered more when the engine is changed. It's more than just more power. Cooling, suspension, gearboxes, weight balance, intakes, exhaust all might have to change to fit the S55 into the car. The M2 will be low volume so having multiple versions just isn't feasible given that they are already limiting options. They could have done it from the start though and then just detuned. However BMW are providing a balanced package - while some of us may want something more unhinged that is only offered with after market solutions. Having said that, my understanding is that the M2 will be a similar size and power to the E46 M3 (though not torque) so in real terms it's not going to feel like a huge advancement for the track. Don't get me wrong though, I still want one.

Now if BMW had started with the S55 and charged a tiny bit less than the M3 then offered maybe a later CSL lightweight 4 banger with some fancy electronic turbos and water injection then they'd be some really interesting choices to be made.
Appreciate 0