View Single Post
      01-07-2020, 04:33 PM   #1290
spenny_b
Private
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: 2020 M2 Comp, HS

Garage List
Wi-Fi Hotspot + Apple CarPlay - Simultaneous Connection?

Hey guys,

Collected my M2C MY19 the other week, so am steadily finding time to play with the lates iDrive (hell of a difference from my F10 M5's iDrive!)

I decided to register and enable the Wi-Fi hotspot today, taking advantage of the 1mth free trial with T-Mobile (Deutsch Telekom) here in the UK.

Registration went ok eventually....

(a tip for EU users, the Country Selection at the top of the T-Mobile page never seemed to change the displayed flag from the German flag to the Union Flag, despite trying Chrome, Safari, FF....if you persevere regardless, you'll complete your personal details as part of the registration, but it WILL error, saying that the address you entered differs from the initial country you set. The only way around it that I could see (despite calling their helpline in Germany) was to edit the URL from /de/..... to /gb ....there's obviously a coding issue on this page. After that it went through fine.)

....and I went off into the car, followed the instructions to navigate to Connected Devices, and did the necessary to pair my phone (iPhone 11 Pro Max running iOS13.3)

HOWEVER....CarPlay then wouldn't launch in iDrive. I did see some switching between the new SSID for the Wi-Fi hotspot and another BMW7xxxxx SSID....which I think is the same identifier as the Bluetooth connection.

I only played with it for a few minutes, but it seemed that if connected to the hotspot, there's no CarPlay for me?!

Am I missing something obvious? I hope so, otherwise this is a completely useless feature (I wanted it for streaming podcasts on long journeys and streaming music from Deezer)

Thanks in advance chaps
Spencer
Appreciate 0