Thread: Rattles?
View Single Post
      03-19-2017, 02:50 PM   #27
Artemis
Rep
Drives: BMW M2 Competition

Quote:
Originally Posted by BishUK View Post
I have 2 or 3 annoying rattles, the passenger seat back/ something on the back seats one for sure but my most annoying one is a very loud buzzing/resonance thing I get at around 3000rpm....sounds like it's coming from under the gear lever area but just when I think I've nailed exactly where it's coming from it pops up in another area!! I need to take out a front and rear passenger and have them investigate while I drive!!
If you mean a kind of discreet 'zinging' resonance buzz (no 'rattle') between 2800 and 3000rpm (if I hold rpm in that zone, it keeps discreetly 'zinging' - under and above that zone: zero 'zinging'): I got that too since day 1 and fail to locate exactly where it comes from, but it clearly comes from somewhere near the back seats. Checked seat belt buckles in the back, back seats head rests, the armrest in the back, cupholder inside the rear armrest, etc.

Maybe it's related to the M Performance Exhaust or the internals of the moonroof (panel making contact) or one of the loudspeakers mounted behind the back seats ?

Many years ago I remember encountering a discreet buzzing noise that was hard to locate. Turned out to be a spring inside the passenger seat belt buckle: as soon as I buckled that seat belt, the buzzing stopped. Found it out when asking someone to check it and could not replicate it of course ...because the person in the passenger seat had its seat belt buckled.