View Single Post
      02-19-2021, 05:47 PM   #14
akkando
Major General
Rep
Drives: 17 M2 DCT LBB,11 e90 M3 ZCP IB

Quote:
Originally Posted by pal View Post
Good discussion. For the sake of this discussion, can we set aside the price as it's a huge (and legitimate) distractor.

So, I am thinking in terms of what is an appropriate (just enough) sized Intercooler for stock power and maybe 10-15hp over stock with simply a high flow downpipe. Does something like the aFe net enough flow and cooling to support this? Plus it's bar/plate vs stock that is tube/fin. And should BMW have supplied the M2 with this instead of using the generic FMIC that (I think) they use on other variations of the N55?

Second, FMIC location is a pretty poor place to increase weight. This is another motivator to get the "right sized" unit.

Third, not blocking the radiator any more than needed is a motivator as well. Sure, you can upgrade the radiator too but then you're adding more weight and, to an extent, trying to counter the reduced airflow from the larger IC.

Now an orthogonal question. Why do y'all not like the Wagner Comp? I was thinking the Comp 2 is decent unit ...
Apparently the Wagner Comp 2 doesn't outperform similar priced units and maybe not even the Wagner Performance 2. The marketing material says that the tube and fin should cool off faster than bar and plate when there is air flow and off throttle but the limited data on that doesn't seem to support that claim.

It DOES seem to introduce less lag than similar sized bar and plate designs and it is lighter weight. The fit and finish is good. My IAT are definitely lower than stock. I accidently deleted my old logs sadly but it's a pretty big upgrade over stock. On the street the way I drive on back roads or doing highway pulls it typically wouldn't ever get hot enough to pull timing based on IATs.

I have the Wagner Evo Comp 2, I got a decent discount from Mike. Had I known what I had known now I probably would get the ATM or CSF. VRSF HD apparently works well and is cheap but I am not the biggest fan of VRSF customer service, attention to detail, and fitment.
Appreciate 1
AmuroRay2282.50