300hp
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: X5 & 335xi

Quote:
Originally Posted by doug_999
Quote:
Originally Posted by 300hp View Post
Helps to look at the detail too. On a product by product basis BMW and Merc are close enough. Where BMW gets slaughtered is the lack of a GL competitor (2,000 units), the S Class (another 1,000 units over the 7er) and the A class (around 2,000 units over the 2er)

I honestly don't believe that BMW can do anything about the GL, even if the X7 comes along. That race will just end the same way as the 7er vs S class. The GL is just a great product for its target audience. Mercedes sold as many GLs as Audi sold A4s in Jan, that's pretty good if you ask me.
The S-Class typically outsells the 7-series by about 10% YTD - that's about 1,000 cars for the entire year, which is not much in terms of the entire yearly race. The exception of course was last year when the new S class was out against the end of life 7-series, where the S crushed the 7-series to the tune of 15,523 additional sales. The new 7-series should put the number back in-line.

With regards to the X7 not competing, I just don't know how you can predict this. If in fact it does mirror the s-class vs 7 of previous years, then it will mean MB gains only 1,000 YTD sales, not the additional 26K they have now thanks to the GL.
It will compete but it will not outsell the GL, in the same way as the S beats the 7.

You are right the introduction of the X7 will tighten the race a lot further

Deep Sea Blue Metallic 2013 X5 35d Sport
Prem, Convenience, Cold and Premium Sound packages
Appreciate 0