08-05-2020, 05:32 PM   #81
F87source
Major General
No_Country
Rep
Drives: Bmw M2

Quote:
Originally Posted by XutvJet View Post
I have a hard time seeing that the Dinan Sport caused this issue seeing that over 10000 miles passed without an issue after it was removed. Not until 4000 miles of using the BM3 did the catastrophic issue happen and prior to that event, a super knock issue occurred, breaking the spark plug. It sounds like there could be an injector issue, but these cars are quite sensitive to issues with injectors. I think the likely scenario is the fuel pump crashing under high/heavy load on a hot day and causing a lean condition and ultimately a very dangerous knock event. All it takes is a major event over the course of less than a second to destroy a piston and/or rod bearing.

We know the N55 in M2 is already pushing near it's a fuel pump limits in stock form. We also know that the fuel pump starts crashing near 400whp. It could simply be that this fuel pump was a bit weak or the perfect set of unfortunate circumstances occurred.
Unlikely to be a hot day, because the ecu would be pulling timing and the hot air means less air density thus having and overall less strain on the hpfp. Most likely event to tank the hpfp is during a cold day.

My guess to what happened to op was the tune was way too aggressive and constantly causing feedback knock and actual knock at all times, and it was cylinder 1 that for whatever reason took the most damage. Maybe carbon build ups caused hot spots in that cylinder which could explain why it was the one that had the most knock and plug damage. Or it could be the injectors. But likely the tune was way too aggressive.

If op were to data log it would likely be apparent if not enough fuel was sprayed into cylinder 1 due to injector issues because that cylinder would run hotter and have more timing pulls due to knock. it would have also showed if the tune was too aggressive and overall saved the engine. The lesson is to always data log your car before flashing a tune to see if your local fuel quality is good enough to even support a tune, and then log after tuning. Also start with the least aggressive map first and move your way to more aggressive maps.

But if at all possible run a custom tune.