01-29-2017, 04:13 PM   #37
Franzino
Captain
Belgium
Rep
Drives: M2 MY17 / Alpine A110 MY19

Quote:
Originally Posted by BruceM View Post
My preference for an MT has nothing to do with "real man" issues. It has everything to do with the connection between man and machine a good manual set-up affords, and a DCT cannot.

It's harder to drive an MT on the track these days. That challenge is also part of the attraction.

I've got a fast car with the paddles, and it's very efficient. The reality is, though, that after awhile I find myself just driving it as a full auto, more and more. Can't do that with an MT, which is great.
100% my thoughts and experience with driving a DCT/PDK/S-Tronic/DKG.... If the M2 was only available with DCT I would also bought it, but I bought the manual...because I could choose.

But.....and a big but! After driving my manual M2 for 1.500km I have come to the conclusion that the feel and travel lengt of the M2 clutch is the worst I have ever experienced in any BMW I have driven or any sporty car...and I have driven a lot of fast "manual" cars in my 20 years of driving. In my opinion the clutch is the biggest downside of the M2... There are other small downsides, but nothing this noticeable or worth complaining about.
Going to do the UCP clutch mod and hope for some improvement. NO don't mention the clutch stop fitting. That feature is only useful for the end of the clutch travel (when pushing down the clutch)... I have zero problem with that! My problem is with the beginning of the clutch (the last piece of clutch travel when the pedal is at his highest point and fully engaged or almost engaged).