01-12-2016, 03:46 PM   #564
kent11202
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2013 328i

Quote:
Originally Posted by shark715 View Post
Unfortunately you are so right. Every time I have wheels installed I retorque the bolts when I arrive home, and I can't tell you how many times I've had to use a breaker bar to loosen overtightened bolts. Unfortunately at many garages and dealers tire installation is left to the technician who is lowest on the totem pole, and these guys often get paid by the job and not the hour, so they are rushing. And as you pointed out, by the time I arrive home and re-torque, the damage may already be done. And you may not immediately realize your car has been damaged, much less be able to prove who did it. Interestingly, in my experience the technicians who seem to be the most careful are the one ones at Costco.
That's a good practice and I'm more than a little surprised that Costco seems to be a cut above - good for them.

Kind of reminds me of an incident that happened to me decades ago when buying new tires. As I got near home, I heard this God awful racket. Turns out THREE lug nuts were off their studs and banging around inside the hub cap*

*For the younger posters, in the old days, cars didn't have aluminum wheels. Instead they had these shiny things that were pretty much hammered onto the wheels and covered the lug nuts. These things could trap stuff inside like rocks and lug nuts that came off.
Appreciate 0