01-06-2017, 07:43 PM   #157
DrKevM5
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: G05 X5, F87 M2

Quote:
Originally Posted by kjjc View Post
After driving the M2 for only 2 months, I could not take the crappy HK sound system anymore. So in search of better in-car audio quality, the Etons have just been installed. I still find that there is small hiss in the sound, so I looked into the ASD removal.

Then before I decided to order the Technic ASD harness, I removed the 122 fuse for one full day. All the fake engine noise is gone. It is really unbelievable how the real engine sound is totally weak sounding. I think ASD even alters with inside-the-car exhaust note, the sound that I thought was from the exhaust coming from the rear of the car, that sound became like 40% quieter. In Sport and Sport+, the boom boom is just gone. I was not dispointed but very very surprised.

That day I wonder if I could live with this M2 without the boomy fake engine noise, and have a slightly better car audio. The answer is a big NO, even though it is fake, it adds a better sports car sensation while driving. I really need the fake engine noise to enjoy this car, even it adds some tiny hiss to the audio, so what. To my ears, the fake noise is real enough to make the car sounds powerful.

Sure many of you will disagree with me, that is your choice. The point I am trying to make is that the trend on this forum points everyone towards removing the ASD, at first I even thought of the ASD as the enemy to the audio system. But in reality ASD is not as bad as what people think. What is the point of driving a great 370hp car with little engine sound or a crappy engine sound? Why not just forget that there is even ASD, and just drive the M2 with great sounding engine? Compare it with aftermarket exhaust or even the great-sounding original M2 exhaust, they are also a sound alteration from the engine, just in an analog/mechanical way. Why not think the ASD hold similar concept, but just in a computerized way?

There are several youtube videos comparing ASD and ASD-disabled sound, they do not show how much the engine sound is really muted. They do not do the judgement. You just have to try it for your self, remove the fuse #122 and hear it, it will amaze you!!

Agreed. I did the ASD delete, and also felt that it was too quiet. For me, the sound just adds to the character of my car. When I did PCD, the best thing I loved about the 1200+ return trip was the glorious sound it made. I still love it, even more with the 200 cell cat. I bought the car for the driving experience. Not too concerned about the sound system.
Appreciate 0