View Single Post
      11-21-2016, 04:35 PM   #20
Artemis
Rep
Drives: BMW M2 Competition

As several know, I swapped my 1M for an M2 and 'allowed' both cars to shine their true colors on mountain twisties (Alps and Dolomites).

Both cars have their own character: 'The Wild One' (1M) versus 'The Mild One' (M2).

As I wrote in a comment: if the 1M is rock 'n roll, then the M2 is jazz. Both got soul, but in a different way. Kinky (1M) & Cool (M2): I love both.

Below you find some general impressions I posted in the past (June 2016). Not incompatible with what Chris Harris has stated in his 1M/M2 video posted today.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Artemis View Post
Some asked me for some M2 versus 1M thoughts.

As commented already in the past, we all know that Charles Lindbergh was the first to cross the Atlantic in a solo non-stop flight. Many after him emulated his feat in a faster time and with better planes ...but everyone keeps referring to Lindbergh as the pioneer, the one reported in the books as the classic.

That's how I will keep approaching the 1M: a 21st century back-to-basics pocket-rocket trendsetter, delivering drive after drive. Visceral, rebel-ish and eclectic: embodying fine bits and pieces exquisitely puzzled together to a car inducing "Je ne sais quoi" feelings (cfr. a desirable "It" factor). Embracing a dash of the serendipity spirit, instantly getting BMW M accolades, hat tips and rave reviews exceeding initial expectations. Move to groove, and you'll find out: what a car !

But let's not infer from that point of view that the 1M was the very last section of the book on ///M car classics. IMHO the 1M also incorporated/incorporates the potential of a promising ///M future, a cliffhanger for another great episode in ///M Land. Also inspiring competitors to build compact, powerful cars, equally pleasing manual transmission aficionados, with an emphasis on great chassis dynamics offering driving pleasure when zippingly zooming through sensual S-es and twirling twisties (pulling G's through the S's), rather than focusing on cold maths (including straight-line speed statistics). "How exciting was the drive ?" as leading question ringing your mind when you get out of the car.

It was/is up to BMW and BMW M to decide whether to further explore (also) that semi-kinky direction on the 'warmer side of cool' spectrum. Hence, the M2 and possible M2 variants (CS/CSL/GTS ?).

Whether the 1M's spiritual successor(s) can match the 1M awesomeness level, is a tad too personal (and currently even too early to answer). Personal preferences will be of influence: so-called 'purism' (though a rather vague notion), nostalgia, daily driver, more street-oriented, more track-oriented, regularly also more people on board, etc. ?

For some the M2 (c.q. future M2 variants) will certainly match that level, for some it will even up the ante with another notch and for some it will fall short. For example, it has been already righteously pointed out that the 1M can drive like it has 'ants in its pants', that its 'feistiness' makes it a bit of a rascal or wildflower, taking you for a drive on the treacherous wild side (and eventually beyond). But in the end it strikes a nice balance between wild and domesticated, impetuously but not erratic.

The M2 is indeed more indulgent/forgiving/lenient for driver's excitement than the 1M, awarding it (i.e. the M2) a more mature stature: the M2's back is broad enough to take the strain at a point where the 1M gives up and throws you out of the saddle. Some will like this kind of indulgence for safety reasons (staying on course), others probably don't (preferring a more challenging 'no risk no fun' on-the-edge behavior, requiring more attention or skill from the driver to avoid going off course). As indicated, in the end it's a personal thing.

Here's to hoping that most car enthusiasts, c.q. ///M-thusiasts, will consider - in a near-future digital-ish eDrive era - that both the 1M and the M2 remain prime examples of motoring marvels straight out of that good old six-banger semi-'analog' ///M era.

A lot of enthusiasts are craving to even get a ride in any of these vehicles (the 1M sometimes happens to be already labeled "unobtainium"). If you happen to own one of these, then consider yourself a lucky person. Take it out for another drive soon, and enjoy it to bits. In the end, none of the experienced moments of driving pleasure can ever be taken away from you anymore.

Personally loving both. Moved on and thankful for the past. No regrets, really. Alike friends of the past you spent great times with: the fact that things have changed over time, with each living different lives nowadays (and with some friend(s) possibly already perished in the meantime), does by no means prevent you to cherish a walk down memory lane, thinking back with a smile about great times from that (faraway) past too. Fond memories never tire.

The 1M was never bored because the 1M was never boring.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Artemis View Post
I already confirmed in previous posts that both the 1M and M2 have their own character. Same bloodline but no twins:
"The M2 is indeed more indulgent/forgiving/lenient for driver's excitement than the 1M, awarding it (i.e. the M2) a more mature stature: the M2's back is broad enough to take the strain at a point where the 1M gives up and throws you out of the saddle. Some will like this kind of indulgence for safety reasons (staying on course), others probably don't (preferring a more challenging 'no risk no fun' on-the-edge behavior, requiring more attention or skill from the driver to avoid going off course). As indicated, in the end it's a personal thing."
(http://www.1addicts.com/forums/showt...6#post20069276)
Speaking from personal experience (confirmed by all other drivers who joined me up there high in the mountains for a great back-to-back 1M/M2 driving session), the 1M requires more involvement from the driver to keep it right on course, when driven in a spirited way in a daunting, treacherous environment. The driver's seat as a work place. If you manage to keep the 1M's feisty nature under control when pushed, you're in for an exciting stint of pure driving joy: you're going out with 'Kinky Boots', who has a soft spot for walks on the wild side, requiring your full attention. Work that body. Its genuine steering feel (actually 'analog', you might say) contributes to this overall experience. But beware: push too hard and the short-wheelbase 1M may bite back without mercy (personally I never had a mishap with any of my M cars - see me touching wood right now - only some so-called 'moments').

The M2 is less hardcore than the 1M. It helps the driver better in staying on course under challenging conditions. But it would be a mistake to label it 'docile' or 'numb'. You're going out with 'Cool Boots', who takes care of stuff to make it more comfortable for you. Reliable, trustworthy. The M2 equally requires driver's involvement, but less than the 1M. Also, the M2 DSC light is significantly 'calmer' on the M2 compared to the 1M on exactly the same roads. This gives the impression that the M2 chassis copes better with whatever situation the driver is throwing at it. Hence, it feels as if the M2 is easier/safer to drive than the 1M, when driven at the same speed through the bumpy twisties.

Driving the 1M again triggered some kind of bittersweet feeling for me. Probably like the tempting idea of making whoopee again with that pretty wild ex-girlfriend from a bygone past: that familiar feeling and fond memories lingering on like a lush perfume swirling in the evening air. But, hey, you both parted ways back in the day, moved on and got settled. No regrets, really.

If the 1M is rock 'n roll, then the M2 is jazz. Both got soul, but in a different way. Kinky (1M) & Cool (M2): I love both.

Dackelone10527.50
AlexCirci496.50
1M Tex240.00
Jono2112156.00
geogerf115.50