03-11-2019, 11:24 PM   #38
chris719
Major General
Rep
Drives: '08 M Roadster

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Silver Slammer View Post
So they made all that up in this video?
Big on marketing, short on details and doesn’t align with some other written articles. Maybe these guys are right but we’ll never know. The results certainly look like all Toyota did was write a check to BMW.

Fact is, it’s built on a BMW chassis and engine that were both already planned and nearing completion. There is nothing Toyota I can find about this car other than sheet metal and the startup logo on the BMW iDrive. My Mazda 3 at least had FoMoCo stamped all over the place .

This is a really small volume sports car anyway, it’s not exactly a Camry that needs to go 250k miles.

Maybe BMWs process really is this deficient to where Toyota could improve the reliability with analyses that BMW should already have been doing... guess time will tell.

I mean, they keep repeating that BMW and Toyota went their separate ways but I’d like to know how. The firmware is all Bosch/BMW. Entire chassis appears to
be the same, struts look to be from BMW bin. Maybe spring rates are different. The interior is identical with some cheaper materials but all still BMW parts. What could they possibly have tuned themselves, in isolation? BMW even did road testing of both simultaneously.

Last edited by chris719; 03-11-2019 at 11:40 PM..
Appreciate 0