03-02-2015, 11:19 PM   #251
Schm
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: e90 330i

Quote:
Originally Posted by SCOTT26 View Post
Interesting update - UKL is a modular chassis and can be adapted/subtracted as FWD or RWD.

Full decision on the 2er is not final yet (full decision will be taken by the end of the year) and can use the UKL chassis but can adapted for RWD. (BMW M are fighting for RWD because the M2 is apparently even more outstanding than the 1er M Coupe)

What the strategy aims to show is a split between the 1er and 2er , but vehicles that cannot compromise on space and versatility will be addressed via FWD namely the 1er , X1 , X2 and Active/Gran Tourers.
This is the 1er Sedan but the strategy involves a 2er Gran Coupe. So that compact entry lines will mirror the upper segments in the BMW portfolio.
Thank you for the update Scott27. Like most of the enthusiasts here, I desire a small-rwd BMW again and am definitely would consider a RWD 228i grand coupe as a replacement for my e90 330i.

I simply could not settle for a FWD 1-series sedan. I would rather drive something like a focus or fiesta ST if I wanted FWD, and I think the X-drive would add too much weight. I want something that is a nice all rounder, can handle occasional track days and auto-X, and won't laughed at car meets (which obviously a very small percentage of the car buying public cares about) but is a competent daily driver.

Last edited by Schm; 03-02-2015 at 11:25 PM..
Appreciate 2