View Single Post
      04-09-2020, 08:23 PM   #14
SEAT TIME RULES
Major
Rep
Drives: 20 BMW M2C 17 Mazda MX-5 RF

Garage List
2020 BMW M2C  [5.00]
I feel like I need to elaborate one more time that a DOT r Compound tire is a completely different animal than a true 'slick"

Tire construction, slip angles, optimal temp range, etc are very different.

I ran some take off Yoko slicks on my EVO X for about 5 track days.

3 at Lime Rock & 2 at NHIS about 7 years ago. My times were faster on the slicks but you better have outstanding car control and a well sorted suspension to appreciate the small improvement in lap times.

I think the biggest difference between a DOT R Compound and a slick is the sidewall. On slicks they are almost a 90 degree square sidewall. On any of the DOT's they have a more rounded edge/forgiving profile. When the tires do exceed their rolling friction limits and transition to sliding friction its like a light switch on slicks. The DOT's all have slightly different personalities but they all are easier to work with at their limits. I've run Kumho's, BFG's, TOYO's. NT01's, and multiple Hoosiers series 6 and 7's over the last 20+ years.

As I have mentioned in other tire threads my go to track tire for HPDE's is the BFG R1. The R1S is for time trials or junkies who have a unlimited amount of $'s to use. The BFG R1 is a 'R Compound" DOT tire. Its very easy to wring out all the mechanical grip this compound has to offer and its got great slip angles and feedback near the limits. They last longer than Hoosiers, and handle heat well. They don't heat cycle out before they run out of rubber. They are faster than any of the 200 wear cheater tires I've been on as well.

I'll go to my R1's after I try my first staggered setup this year. I'm curious to see how the Yoko A052's are vs my R1's in speed and wear...
My 2020M2C Build: https://f87.bimmerpost.com/forums/sh....php?t=1696726
Appreciate 0