Brigadier General
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: AW M2 DCT

Quote:
Originally Posted by SeanWRT View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bee Pee View Post
A number of folk running mhd 2+ 102ron map here in the uk on 99ron wo issue and repeatedly more oomph everywhere than 98ron....
I believe so. There is certain degree of IAT tolerance with different octane level.

For example, when I was on Dinan Turbo one year ago, it put down "glorious" 414whp on RON98 on a dynojet where M4 ZCP stock didn't even break 400 on the same day.

The ambient was as cold as 50F, the 5th gear pulls can hardly heat IAT up to above 80F. 4 cylinders out of 6 saw timing capped out at 10 degrees up top and the other 2 had just minor corrections, a sign of running on the edge already. However, on hotter days and when IAT gets above 90F, it shows more corrections and power loss, definitely need higher octane to support.

My point is you can find very ideal condition for a low octane to run well on an aggressive map, but that doesn't change the fact the map isn't made for it.

You really need to push hard in summer. Log repeated multiple gear pulls, see how it's holding up at IAT 120F. Under that condition the most of aftermarket tunes cannot even live up to their map octane claim.
Agreed obvs colder climate / ambient is better but despite very hot temps we've had in the uk earlier this summer the users haven't had any issues wrt to timing pulls even at TDs using 102ron maps.

I've concluded that mhd leave a fair bit of safety margin even in stg2+ compared to BM3 stg 2.....

Current '22 X3M LCI..
Appreciate 0