09-17-2021, 12:51 AM   #100
F87source
Major General
No_Country
Rep
Drives: Bmw M2

Quote:
Originally Posted by vrooooom View Post
I think he's just worried about leaving the charger plug'd in the whole time. I believe this is the same as leaving your house' heating on (lower setting due to freezing concern) while on vacation or the other appliances for that matter. Fridge's compressor will run when it needs to and stop when it's cold enough. Reversed for your furnace. Same logic w/ the trickle charger. Except maybe for the hydrogen that's released as one charges a battery? Don't they suggest that there's some level of ventilation while this is done? I'm sure it's a very tiny percentage and is more for the legality of putting a warning to protect the manufacturer—lawyers. I agree w/ F87 but I don't have a surge protector on mine.

The m2 has a buit in battery vent that vents outside of the vehicle. For the tiny amount of vapors released over time they would in all likelihood disappate before anything bad can happen - unless you park your car in an air tight garage (which most garages and homes are not to prevent asphyxiation) or in a car bubble. Other than that you should be fine, most super car owners have a warehouse full of cars left full time on trickle chargers.

Also the ctek has a fuse that can break if a short circuit were to occur, say water some how leaked into the engine bay and managed to bridge the connection (super unlikely). The ctek also has spark mitigation technology so it shouldn't spark while connecting, reverse connection detection so you cannot hook it up backwards, and battery detection so you cannot over charge and it shuts off automatically if for some reason the charger were to become disconnected (maybe an animal broke into your garage and knocked the charger over or something).

So overall it is a pretty safe unit to have running all year round, also bmw's IBS sensor can monitor the charging and iirc prevent over charging of the battery. Which is why bmw wants you to connect to the underhood terminals rather than directly to the battery itself.