Canada
Rep
Drives: '08 128i Coupe SGM 6MT

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by KHAP13 View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fined View Post
I have this and find it to be very annoying. It mostly happens to me going 3rd into 2nd. Sometimes it takes several tries to get 2nd gear to engage. Definitely feels like a lockout.
When driving aggressively, I think the 3-2 shift has the potential to go past the resistance on the left side of the gate that you would normally push past when you are selecting reverse gear.

If you go to far left in the gate then you can't select second. Happened to me a few times before I figured out what the issue was. Now I'm more careful/precise on the 3-2 shifts as it is (too) easy to push too far left and down when going for 2nd.
I think this is more likely the issue. I have this exact challenge on both my BMW 6MT's (Z4M, 128i) and possibly my 911 7MT as well. Only on a track!

Frankly its because my adrenaline is running so high on the track at high speeds and cornering and I'm shifting so fast that I try to go for second gear while heel toe'ing but I push the shifter too far left and get into the reverse gear gate. Can't go down into second because the shifter is now too far to the left. You can try it while parked and replicate this "lockout".

Trick is to be calmer when shifting and use a lighter amount of force.

VW's for example don't have this I believe because there is an actual lockout (need to pull up to be able to get to reverse gate if I'm correct).
Appreciate 0