View Single Post
      09-10-2020, 09:36 PM   #35
AlterZgo
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 23 X3 M40i, 21 911S, 24 Taycan

Quote:
Originally Posted by HeelToeShift View Post
Not meant to be abrasive, but have you driven a 718 GT4? I own one. The torque on the car is monumentally better than the 981. The gearing is not an issue in this car whatsoever. And just deleting the OPF filters adds another 32 lb ft at 2400 rpms (and power and torque all the way through the rev range). The area under the curve is great with one of the best torque curves for N/A engines I’ve seen or felt. It never feels like it’s lacking for torque , and the engine power is still rising as you hit 8000 rpms where most N/A cars start to flatten out or decline and turbo engines lose steam way sooner.
This car is plenty fast and on the track it is absolutely a blast and puts down some seriously fast times that rival or better cars with much more power. On top of it, the manual itself is to die for. The top end of of this car is mega.
Furthermore, for comparison:

991 GT3: first gear 52 mph, second gear 82 mph And no one complains here.
Congrats on your GT4. I’m sure it’s amazing. No need to justify your decision to me. Enjoy your car in good health. I’m not buying or selling my POV.

I’ve never driven a GT4. I’ve only driven air cooled 911s. With that said, based on what people say, plus the fact that I’m used to my tuned M3 with 500 lb/ft torque at relatively low RPMs, I’m sure I will be disappointed with the acceleration of a GT4. I imagine the acceleration would be similar to the E60 M5 which sounded amazing to wind out that V10 to 8500 RPM and hear it scream... but alas i told my friend his car felt like a big block Integra Type R... glorious at 6K+ RPMs... but still lacking in torque at lower RPMs.

With respect to the GT3, people complain about the long gearing in that car too.

I’m sure the 6MT in the GT4 is sublime... I’d just be disappointed that I don’t get to row through the gears as much due to the super tall gearing.
Appreciate 0