View Single Post
      08-12-2020, 01:15 PM   #39
Artemis
Rep
Drives: BMW M2 Competition

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drj161 View Post
Help me out here, from what I heard and from media, especially Jeremy Clarkson's review of the m4 gts was not positive. But it's still the fastest BMW here... Anyone can explain why the car was so 'hated' or disliked by the community?
M4 GTS in EVO Car Of The Year 2016:
"I turn the wipers from frisky to frantic, transfer control of the DCT to the paddles and narrow my focus on the crimson flare of brake lights ahead barely penetrating the spray but almost semaphore active. The ease with which the M2 is keeping up - indeed, is all over - the car in front, without asking much from me, is a surprise. I'll reveal what those flashing tail lights belong to in a moment, but the first intriguing insight of the day is starting to form.
If there wasn't much to get worked up about climbing into the M2 after breakfast - the minimally massaged generic 2-series interior is comfortable,
well-designed, nicely made and easy to see out of - it's starting to work a little magic now, though somewhat against type. With its well documented love of drifting locked out by the traction and stability electronics and my desire not to drop it before a single photo has been taken, a degree of dimensionality and the more nuanced aspects of its chassis' dynamic make-up have dropped away. But not its appetite for speed across the ground, even in these filthy conditions. This will become a recurring theme throughout eCoty 2016, but the bolshie wunderkind from M makes it clear from the outset that it won't be pushed around by the big hitters. Its default position is dogged tenacity, a distillation of grip and efficient use of available grunt that remains effective come what may.
When we park up, a slightly fazed Adam Towler steps out of the M4 GTS that the M2 has just kept such close company with. He gets to the point: 'I genuinely thought the GTS wanted to deposit me in the hedge. The combination of wet roads, dry-biased tyres, that chassis with very quick steering, and the huge initial torque delivery of the engine made it almost undriveable at times, and while scary can be fun, this was just too scary.' Given the quasi-race car setup of the GTS, it would be overstating it to call this a bombshell, but it seems that on a far from smooth and evenly cambered road in slippery conditions, the on-paper £76k and 128bhp gap between the M Division's A game and its entry-level representative can be ripped up. Can't say the M2 was fun, much less a finely layered feast for the senses, but driven purely to exploit its seemingly inexhaustible ability to scavenge grip without obviously favouring the purchase of either end, and to mine the last ounce of effort from its brawny but curiously atonal motor, well, it worked a treat."
"A perfect illustration of how big a difference it can make driving a car on domestic roads in Blighty weather is made by the BMW M4 GTS. As you'll see in the final scores, this is a car that widely split opinion. Many of us hadn't driven the car before, but Henry and Dan had both experienced it on smooth and fast Iberian roads that were baked crisp by hot sun. Both came back in love with the car. My first drive in the GTS was along a wet, undulating, twisty, crusty and very challenging B-road. Turning off the traction control would have resulted in disaster and a terribly embarrassing phone call to BMW. The car, so magnificent on dry, smooth roads, was a liability or these ones."
M4 GTS and TopGear:
"And in the wet?
Bloody liability. No rear end traction whatsoever. The tyres don’t help, but the big-torque, rapid delivery engine and low-grip-commitment rear axle are a spiteful pairing. You need to be properly on your game if you’re to disable the stability control, which you sort of need to, because even if placed in M Dynamic mode, it’s a bit too keen to get involved, and it does so rather abruptly. I don’t think I’ve ever driven a car with a bigger discrepancy between dry and wet weather behavior.
Bottom line: it’s nearly the same money as a Porsche GT3 RS. Which would you have?
The Porsche every single time, but you’re talking the wrong rival. If Merc does a Black Series C63 Coupe, or even GT Coupe, that’s where this sits. It’s a burlier car than the Porsche. That’s a surgical instrument, a car for picking apart apexes (apices?), this is more of the just-wanna-have-a-good-time type machine."