Tes
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2018 BMW M2

Garage List
2018 BMW M2  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by nachob View Post
If you do a lot of short trips between April - Sept then I don't think you will gain much going to 5W-30, even though I suspect (but unable to verify as I can't find specs on BMW 0W-30) that 5W-30 still might be more durable than 0W-30 and possibly have less evaporation. As I said, I am trying to verify but can't find data.

the M2 originally came with Shell made LL-01 5W-30 and BMW says it's approved until they run out of it so you can buy BMW 5W-30 online until runs out or get Shell made Pennzoil Euro Platinum LL-01 5W-30. Both would work great but as I said before in your case it's not a super clear cut case as there is some slight benefit if the car sits a long time and if you do short drives.

If you make long hard spirited drives or autocross and and have mechanical empathy to warm up your car before pushing, then Platinum Euro 5W-40 probably offers more protection and probably less evaporation. When I operate my car, it is usually in the 68F-96F range so you can see in my case I run it on hot days and usually make long 1 hour drives so the benefits of the 5W-40 are greater vs cold start.

So how you drive it is the missing piece to determine the best oil but you are in a good place. If you lived in Phoenix Arizona and told me you were running 0W-30, I would scream and say turn off the motor and get 5W-40 where they regularly see 110-115F days with AC running on top of it.
Thanks for the advice I don't drive the car particularly "hard" compared to people that does track days but I definitely do drive it like it is meant to be driven as a M car once I get up to ~100C oil temp. I guess that makes a lot of sense for me to run 0W-30 and maybe 5W-30 as a maybe more robust option.

I'm not sure about the states but in Canada the Pennzoil Euro 5W30 is called "Pennzoil Platinum Euro L" and when I look at the bottle it only specifies it meets/exceed BMW LL-04. Is that the same stuff you were referring to? or is there a Platinum Euro that is BMW LL-01 instead? Thanks
Appreciate 0