View Single Post
      03-03-2014, 02:56 PM   #84
Evooooo
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 335 XI Sedan M Sport

Quote:
Originally Posted by dmboone25 View Post
Anyone that had the N54 (myself included) would be able to tell you that these engines, while rated the same, were not the same in reality. N54 > N55 and now the N55 is getting long in the tooth.

Plus, generally people want something different (aka special) in an M car.

This was possible with the 1M because the internals started out stronger with the N54 to begin with, and then the M guys made more upgrades.

Similar with the S55 in the new M3/4 - significant changes to the original N55, which would be necessary for those levels of power.

My current N55, while a good engine, seems to run out of breath much sooner than my N54. No one wants that in an M2.

Just my $.02

While I agree they do run out of breathe quickly because I had an N55, it only had 1 small single. Where as the n54 had 2 turbos. I don't know that the limits of the n55 have really been tested to say the n54 is a stronger motor. Yes they have made 730whp or something like that which is absolutely amazing, but the n55 has not been pushed that far yet. Id love to see the N55 pushed further to see what it caps out at, which they are doing but it is taking forever!
Appreciate 0